Sunday, December 15, 2013

New York

It's been a couple of weeks since my trip to New York, but I've been extremely busy since then, so I wasn't able to post.  I'm taking advantage of the snowy weather to do so now.

My trip to the city was a short one, but I packed quite a bit of eating into that time!  I arrived around 12:30 on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  After checking into my hotel, I made my way to Angelica Kitchen.  I settled into the community table and ordered the walnut lentil pate to start.  The pate was delicious and served with thin rice crackers and raw carrots for dipping.  I ordered the wee dragon bowl for my main meal, a scrumptious combo of rice, beans, tofu, steamed veggies, and sea vegetables.  Needless to say, I was quite full after lunch, so I walked to Union Square to meet Courtney at the holiday market.  After browsing the market for a bit, I was ready to try some ice cream at Lulu's Sweet Apothecary.  I didn't go all out and get a sundae, since I didn't want to ruin my appetite for dinner, so I went with a scoop of vanilla with a bunch of different candy pieces - yum!

Dinner was at Cafe Blossom on the upper west side.  We split the black-eyed pea cakes; small, but delicious!  I had BBQ tempeh with lots of other deliciousness that I can't remember at the moment.  I also sampled the peanut stew, which was amazing.  The food was excellent and the portion sizes were perfect; despite all of the eating I had done that day, I didn't feel disgustingly full.  Plus, I danced a lot of it off at the Guster concert that night.  :)

On Sunday, we started the day off right with a trip to Ess-A-Bagel, which carries seven different varieties of tofu cream cheese.  Yes, seven!  I'm not normally a bagel eater, but I thoroughly enjoyed my multi-grain bagel with sun dried tomato tofu cream cheese.  For lunch, we all met at Cubana Social in Brooklyn.  They have quite a few vegan options here.  I opted for lunch over brunch and got a vegan version of a cuban sandwich, which included sweet plantains, pickles, and avocado - absolutely delicious!

I ended my day in New Haven, arriving at the train station a little before seven.  I decided to have dinner downtown, as there were several promising options there.  I settled on Claire's Corner Copia, which had a ton of vegan options.  I ordered the curry of the day, which was packed with tofu, veggies, rice, and sauce.  But the best part of the meal was the bread - a mini loaf of delicious, flaky bread, served warm with Earth Balance.  An excellent way to end the weekend!

I'm off to Paris on Friday!  From what I hear, the vegan eating is good there, so I should have lots to report.

No comments:

Post a Comment